Obesity is a common issue and is faced by many. Obesity cannot be neglected at any cost. Obesity is a chronic and severe lifestyle disorder. Nobody likes to get called fat or chubby, but obesity makes it happen. However, obesity is something that can be treated or can be prevented if taken care of.
But obesity can be harmful if it triggers numerous illnesses in the body such as diabetes, heart issues, or gynecological issues. Obesity is something that can’t be ignored because obesity in the adult population across the world is alarmingly serious. Let’s know in detail about the symptoms of obesity and its causes too with the treatment.
OBESITY- PROPER DEFINITION
Obesity is a condition in which the health of a person is related to their weight. And basically, in obesity, a person is considered overweight. To measure this condition, the most widely used method is body mass index or BMI. BMI is generally a measure of whether a person is a healthy weight as per his/her height or not. For the adults, BMI ranges from-
- Healthy Weight- 18.5 to 24.9
- Overweight- 25 to 29.9
- Obese- 30 to 39.9
- Severely Obese- 40 or above.
However, BMI is not used definitively to diagnose obesity because sometimes very muscular persons have a very high BMI. But in most cases, BMI can easily diagnose that a person is obese or healthy.
CAUSES OF OBESITY
There is always a cause behind every health issue, and so is the case with obesity. And obesity can be caused by extra calories, a sedentary lifestyle, and so on. The most common causes of obesity include-
- Improper diet can be one of the reasons for obesity. If you are eating many calories and fat rather than fibers and vitamins, then obesity can trouble you.
- Inactive, sedentary, and lazy lifestyle, too, contributes to obesity. Staying inactive increases the chance of a person getting obese.
- Improper sleep can also lead to obesity. Improper sleep leads to hormonal imbalance and changes that lead to hunger and cravings for sugar-rich, oily, salty, and high-calorie foods.
- Aging is also one of the causes of obesity. Aging leads to less muscle mass and slows down the metabolic rate. Hence it contributes to weight gain.
- Pregnancy is also one of the causes of obesity. As weight gained by pregnant women sometimes becomes difficult and hence leads to obesity.
Medical conditions that can also be the cause of obesity-
- PCOS- PCOS syndrome faced by women that causes an imbalance of reproductive hormones in the females.
- Prader- It is a rare condition that is suffered by an individual by birth. The condition causes excessive hunger.
- Cushing syndrome- This syndrome too can contribute to obesity. This occurs due to the excessive amount of the hormone cortisol in the system.
- Hypothyroidism- This is a condition in which the thyroid gland doesn’t produce enough certain important hormones.
- Osteoarthritis- Osteoarthritis too can lead to obesity.
SYMPTOMS OF OBESITY
Obesity cannot be left neglected as it can prove to be a disaster for a person’s health in the longer run. That’s why it is important to prevent obesity or treat it as soon as we notice the symptoms of obesity. Here is a list of some common symptoms of obesity that can make the diagnosis of obesity easier.
Symptoms of Obesity In Adults-
- The accumulation of excessive body fat, particularly around the waist.
- Getting frequent shortness of breath.
- Sweating a bit more than usual.
- Snoring while sleeping.
- Improper or trouble sleeping.
- Some skin-related issues.
- Inability to perform certain physical tasks.
- Fatigue or tiredness from mild to extreme levels.
- Pain, commonly in the joints and back.
Also Read, Alzheimer 101: Everything You Need to know
Symptoms of Obesity in Children and Adolescents-
Not only adults, but children are also facing obesity a lot. As per the data of 2016, over 340 million children and adolescents aged between 5 to 19 were suffering from obesity. Common symptoms of obesity in children and adolescents include-
- Eating disorders in children can be seen if suffering from obesity.
- The deposition of fat in the tissues, mostly in the breast area.
- The appearance of stretch marks on the area of the stomach and hips.
- Shortness of breath while performing physical activities.
- Dark velvety skin around the neck.
- Issues related to orthopedic such as flat feet or dislocated hips.
- Early puberty in the girls and delayed puberty in the boys.
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF OBESITY
Once we know the symptoms of obesity, the next and foremost step is diagnosing and treating obesity. If you notice any symptoms of obesity, do contact the doctor for the diagnosis of obesity. Doctors consider various aspects and then diagnose obesity. Then after the diagnosis doctor will guide you for the proper treatment. The treatment of obesity primarily involves the modification of the diet. A diet rich in proteins, fibers, and nutrients is advised with lots of fresh fruits. It may include certain lifestyle changes along with daily exercise.
In severe obesity, doctors may prescribe some medications to shed the extra kilos, and even there is an option of surgery. Endoscopic or bariatric surgery is done that helps remove extra fat from the body of an obese person.