With nearly six months under lockdown, the daily schedule of most of the people has taken a toll and it is highly difficult for one to keep themselves motivated amid the boredom and laziness that is witnessed sitting inside the home for such a long time. A major issue that has caught everyone’s eyes is the effect on fitness due to the irregularity in eating habits and lack of exercise since the gyms remain closed due to the corona crisis. But, you don’t really need to go to the gym to maintain your fitness during the lockdown. You can remain healthy and fit by practicing small yet useful habits at your home itself.
- Doing the household chores: You don’t always need to go to the gym to burn calories. Working from home can be a boring task but it saves a lot of traveling time and you could always use it in doing the household work. What’s important is muscle movement and you will get ample opportunities to move more than one muscle while performing tasks like cleaning the house, cleaning utensils, gardening, etc. This also helps you connect better with your family and kill the boredom. Moreover, it’s not wise to spend money on the house help when you can do the tasks yourself.
- Diet Control: The lockdown is a major reason behind boredom and with boredom comes overeating. While it may seem unimportant in the first few days, an irregular eating habit can harm your body in the long run and affect your diet routine. So stop stuffing yourself with whatever eatable you find and focus on the intake of a balanced and healthy diet. Remember, fitness is 70% diet and 30% workout. The 70% part is still in your control. “Eat your food like medicine so you don’t have to eat your medicines like food”.
- Workout at home: If someone tells you you can’t work out at home, ask them how people managed to remain fit in the ancient times when there were no gyms. You can do resistance training, running, skipping, and various other exercises at home without having to go to a gym. You can also order some lighter workout equipment online and increase the intensity of your workout. If you are not into weight training, try performing Yoga or running. You can actually start with a simple walking exercise on your terrace. The crux of the matter is the proper movement of your body parts to let the extra calories make their way out of your body.
- Proper Sleep: Well, who doesn’t like sleeping? With the lockdown still in force, and most of the offices, schools, colleges, and businesses running online or remaining closed, you don’t have to hide behind the excuses like, “Extra work in the office” “Stuck in traffic” etc. An 8-hour sleep for children and 7-hour sleep for adults is very necessary to give the mind and the body enough rest. Proper sleep also ensures proper digestion of food and you can get maximum results out of your workout if you take enough sleep. It will not only help you physically but will also give your mind the boost it requires to function effectively.
- Drink Enough Water: This point can’t be emphasized enough. Water constitutes 70% of the Human body and scarcity of water is the reason behind several problems. An adult human being needs to drink 6-8 liters of fresh water every day to ensure proper muscle growth, digestion, and avoid dehydration. There are numerous benefits of drinking water. Some of the key benefits include better memory, better exercise performance, reduction in sugar cravings, reduction in headache, prevention of constipation, etc. Something as easy as drinking water doesn’t require any investment or going outside. Make a habit of drinking water after waking up and after before going to bed. Try to consume more water during the workout to keep yourself hydrated. This can be immensely helpful in leading a healthy life.