The 13th edition of the Indian Premier League has recently started and a virtual race between batsmen to hit sixes has already kicked-off. IPL is a run-fest where batsmen from all across the world cash in to make world-class bowlers their bunny. There is nothing more delightful than watching a batsman sending the ball out of the stadium with sheer power. Hitting a six is a sign of skill and class and the best way to assert a batsman’s authority over the bowlers. Some batsmen use their skills to clear the boundaries while some others use sheer power and follow the ‘stand and deliver’ approach. From Chris Gayle to Virat Kohli, the IPL has seen many legendary batsmen terrorise bowlers with their brutal hitting.
This is what fans pay for and live for. Nothing can be better than seeing your favorite batsman thrashing the opposition bowlers all over the park. Fans wait the whole year for the IPL to commence to enjoy the downpour of sixes. A whopping 326 sixes were hit in 2019 with the dangerous Caribbean batsman Andre Russell hitting the most, 52 sixes while playing for Kolkata Knight Riders. Here’s a list of six batsmen who have hit the maximum number of sixes in IPL 2020.
6. Virat Kohli: Who better than the Indian skipper and the captain of Royal Challengers Bangalore Virat Kohli to start the list. He was picked by Royal Challenger Bangalore for an amount of $30,000 in the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League and has stayed with RCB since then. Virat has hit 190 sixes in 179 matches that he has played for RCB. He also led his team to the finals of the IPL 2016 where Sunrisers Hyderabad emerged as the winner. Apart from the sixes, Virat has also hit 480 boundaries in the T-20 league. Arguably the greatest batsman of modern-day cricket, Virat has hit 5 centuries in the Indian Premier League.
5. Suresh Raina: Above Virat Kohli on the list is Mr. IPL Suresh Raina. A key player for Chennai Super Kings, the left-handed batsman has hit 194 sixes in 193 IPL T-20 matches that he has played. Raina also had the record of not missing even a single match for CSK before he finally missed one in 2018 due to an injury. He has also hit 493 boundaries in the IPL. He has also scored a century and 38 50s in the IPL. However, he has pulled out his name from this year’s IPL due to personal reasons. Raina has also captained Gujarat Lions for two years during the suspension of CSK.
4. Rohit Sharma: The list is full of Indian batsmen and Indian vice-captain and Mumbai Indians captain Rohit Sharma is fourth on the list. Also known as HIT Man Sharma for his capability of hitting gigantic sixes, Rohit has hit 200 sixes in 190 matches that he has played. Rohit started his career with Deccan Chargers ( now Sunrisers Hyderabad) but was later purchased by Mumbai Indians in the auction. Rohit has also led his side to the title victory. Rohit has also hit 436 boundaries in the IPL. The right-handed batsman has hit one century and 37 fifties in the IPL.
3. MS Dhoni: There is hardly any other batsman in India who can match the Chennai Super Kings skipper’s ability to clear the ground without stepping out from the crease. The former Indian skipper has hit 212 sixes in 193 matches that he has played. Apart from the sixes, Dhoni has also hit 299 boundaries in the IPL. He has also captained Pune during the 2-year ban on Chennai Super Kings. Dhoni has managed to score at an average of over 42 despite batting in the lower middle order throughout his IPL career. He has led his side to many unbelievable victories. Dhoni has scored 4,476 runs in the IPL.
2. AB de Villiers: Mr. 360 is another deadly weapon in the arsenal of Royal Challenger Bangalore’s explosive batting order. De Villiers’ capability to send even the best of the deliveries out of the park is second to none. The former South Africa captain has terrorised opposition bowlers several times. He has hit 215 sixes in 156 matches with most of them coming for Royal Challengers Bangalore. He has made many winning partnerships with Virat Kohli. De Villiers has also scored 365 boundaries in the T-20 league. He has made 3 centuries and 34 fifties in the IPL.
1. Chris Gayle: This is no brainer. Chris Gayle remained the scariest batsman for bowlers for over a decade. The World Boss has hit a whopping 326 sixes in 125 matches. He has played for Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kings Xi Punjab. Gayle doesn’t bother taking singles or doubles and relies on the muscle power that he uses to clear the boundary. This is evident in the difference in the number of sixes between him and De Villiers – who is at the second spot. Gayle has hit 369 boundaries in the IPL and also owns the record of hitting the most (6) centuries in the IPL.