We are going to discuss various exercises that can help you in getting a strong core. But the question that arises is, why do you need a strong core?
Well, there are numerous reasons and benefits of having a strong core. Some of these reasons are:
1. Improve Flexibility: A strong core makes your body more flexible and allows your body to do complex movements.
2. Running Fast: A strong core also allows you to run faster. A strong core helps your pelvis, hips, and lower back in moving together. It also helps in keeping your torso upright. This movement of several lower body parts in sync increases the pace of your running.
3. Strengthen Lower Back: While doing strength training, you can easily strengthen your upper back. But, strengthening your core can also help you in stabilizing your lower back. This will be great for overall stability and body balance and also helps in preventing lower back injury.
4. A strong core also helps in preventing your inner organs and central nervous system.
Here are 6 such exercises that can help you in getting a strong core.
1. Leg Raises: This is one of the simplest exercises that you can perform to strengthen your core. To perform this exercise, you need to lie down flat on your back over a mat. Place your hands underneath your lower back and lift your legs without bending your knees and keeping the core tight. Bring down the legs slowly but don’t touch it to the ground. Repeat this movement 12-14 times in a set. This exercise will strengthen your core and help you lose belly fat.
2. Plank: One of the most popular core-strengthening exercises, Plank improves muscle strength and stability. To do a plank, you need to get down on your toes and elbows on a mat while keeping your back straight. Make sure that your elbows and toes are the only points of contact with the ground. Keep looking downwards and hold in this position for as long as you can.
3. Flutter Kicks: This is one of the best exercises to get your abs to show. This exercise targets your glutes, hip flexors, lower abs, quads, and hamstrings. To do flutter kicks, you need to lie down on your back on a mat and keep your hands by your side in such a way that your palms face the mat. Lift your both legs slightly from the ground and bring them down alternately while engaging your core. Do not touch your feet to the ground while moving them downwards. Perform 2 sets of 15 reps each.
4. Crunches: Crunches are one of the most basic yet the most effective ways of burning belly fat and getting a strong core. This exercise targets the Rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, internal and external obliques, and pelvis. To perform crunches, lie down on your back with your knees flexed and feet flat on the mat. Your shoulders should be touching the mat but not your head. Place your fingertips behind your head for support and lift your head in such a way that your upper body is off the ground. Engage your core while lifting the upper body. Lower it back. Perform 2 reps of 15 sets each.
5. Sprinter Plank: This is a complex version of plank that includes both – doing a plank and sprinting at the same position simultaneously. This exercise will not only strengthen your core but will also help you get jacked. This exercise also targets your calves and hamstrings. To perform a sprinter plank, you need to get down on a mat in a push-up position and keep your neck and back in the same line. Now lift your right leg from the floor and bend it to take your right knee closer to your belly. Now, place the right leg back on the ground and perform the same movement with your left leg after a little hop. Repeat this movement 15-20 times at a faster pace. This movement should appear like you are sprinting.
6. Jack Knife Crunch: This exercise is highly beneficial for lower abs, upper abs, glutes, and hamstrings. This is an intermediate level exercise that will help you in improving stability and balance. To perform a Jack Knife Crunch, you need to lie down on a mat and extend your hands overhead to their limit. Now, lift your hands and legs simultaneously and touch your knees with your hands while doing a crunch. Remain in this position for 4-5 seconds and return to the original position. Perform 3 sets of 8 reps each.