A healthy stomach is very necessary for having a healthy body. When we talk of a healthy stomach what we mean is a healthy digestive system. It’s the internal functions we are referring to and not the size of your stomach. Most of the diseases and ailments that you suffer from are related to digestion problems. That is why you must take care of your digestive system. A healthy digestive system helps in breaking down the food that we consume to help our body in getting the essential nutrients and energy. Indigestion, constipation, irregular bowel movement, and other digestive disorders not only make you sick but also affect your nutrition intake.
Hence, it is of vital importance to take care of your digestive system and have healthy eating habits. The type of food you consume has a lot to do with your digestive health and hence, it is important to keep control of your eating habits and refrain from eating too oily food. You must stick to a healthy diet and avoid consuming junk food items frequently. Also, you must drink 8 to 10 litres of water every day and take your meals at a fixed time every day. An irregular diet timing can also affect your digestion. But there is something more that you can do to reduce the risk of getting affected by diseases or illnesses related to the digestive system. Exercising regularly not only keeps you fit but also keeps illnesses at bay.
Here are such exercises that you can do to maintain a healthy digestive system.
1. Crunches: A good digestive system doesn’t require you to have abs or a shredded body. But the exercises that are a part of abs workout are very helpful in maintaining a healthy digestive system. Crunches are an important ab workout that focuses on the abdominal muscles. The different variations of crunch are very helpful indigestion. Sit-ups or crunches are very helpful in maintaining a healthy digestive system. They help in shedding extra fat and preventing issues like gas or bloating. It is an equally helpful workout for losing belly fat and getting a shredded body.
2. Breathing Exercise: Proper breathing pattern is no less than therapy. It is related to internal engineering or getting rid of internal body issues with the help of routine body movements. Sit up straight with a calm mind and practice proper breathing patterns – breathing in and out deeply and slowly while focusing on your belly muscles. This exercise is highly beneficial in problems like heartburn and bloating. It also helps you in fighting stress.
3. Cycling: Cycling has a lot of benefits and those benefits include a healthy stomach. Cycling engages, your legs, abdominal muscles as well as your belly muscles. It not only helps in burning fat and accelerating the process of breaking down food that we consume, thereby reducing the load on the digestive system. Cycling for 15-20 minutes daily can prove to be highly beneficial in getting rid of problems related to your stomach.
4. Downward-facing Dog: Get down on your all fours and lift your hip upwards from that position to come to an inverted V position. Spread your fingers to reduce the tension on your wrists. Stay in this position for 5-7 minutes. The exercise creates space in the torso for the digestion process. This also eases-off the pressure on the digestive system as this exercise and helps you in getting a healthy digestive system.
5. Bow Pose: Yoga is highly capable of ensuring that each part of your body functions properly and it includes your digestive system. Bow pose is another useful yoga exercise that can help prevent diseases related to the digestive system. For performing a bow pose, you need to lie down on your belly and bring your hands alongside the body in such a way that your palms are facing upwards. Now, bend your knees while taking them towards your back. Take your hands towards the legs and try to grab your ankles with your hands. Your knees should be hip-width apart. Now press your shoulders against your back with your neck straight and release your breaths slowly while remaining in this position for 5-6 seconds. The exercise will create a lot of space in your abdomen and lengthen your torso. It also improves oxygen flow and also lengthens the digestive cavity.