DOES TRAVELLING MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER, REJUVENATING, AND ENTHUSIASTIC? THEN THERE IS A PERFECT DESTINATION WAITING FOR YOU, AND THAT IS MACHU PICCHU IN PERU!
Machu Picchu, one of the new seven wonders and a perfect destination in Peru, is secluded in the rocky countryside northwest of Cuzco. The place is believed to attract several tourists every year by its aesthetic sites, splendid culture, and enthusing history. Machu Picchu is a place that has everything to cater to the needs of its tourists. Machu Picchu never disappoints its visitors but gives them a bunch of beautiful memories. Sounds Interesting, isn’t it?
TO KNOW MORE ABOUT MACHU PICCHU, ONE OF THE NEW SEVEN WONDERS, KEEP SCROLLING AND DISCOVER SOME SUPER AMAZING FACTS!
PRONUNCIATION AND MEANING OF MACHU PICCHU
Knowing or visiting a place without pronouncing it right doesn’t sound good, especially when it has a typical spelling and different pronunciations. The correct pronunciation of the place Machu Picchu is “mah-choo peek-choo.” Don’t pronounce it “mah-choo pee-choo,” as the spelling suggests as it is wrong. The meaning of this place, Machu Picchu, is as beautiful as the place itself. It means “old mountain.”
HISTORY OF MACHU PICCHU
According to some historians, Machu Picchu was constructed or built at the height of the Inca empire. The empire had its peak in the 15th and 16th centuries when it dominated western America. The place Machu Picchu is made up of more than 150 buildings. These buildings include baths, houses, temples, and sanctuaries. According to the beliefs of some archaeologists, the place Machu Picchu was a royal estate at the time of Inca nobles and emperors. But according to the theory of others, Machu Picchu was a religious site due to the mountains, and other geographical features were held sacred by the Incas.
There are so many hypotheses that have been cropped in recent years since the unveiling of this beautiful place, Machu Picchu. There are so many interpretations regarding the place by the scholars. Some interpret it as a prison and some as a trading hub. Also, some interpretations believe that the place has been a station for testing crops or a women’s retreat, or a city devoted to the coronation of the kings, and many more.
It was Hiram Bingham, an American archaeologist who discovered Machu Picchu around the year of 1911. Then, he spread the word about this place in his best-seller “The lost city of Incas.” It is not such that Hiram Bingham was the first person to visit Machu Picchu. According to the scholars, many missionaries also visited the place during the 19th and 20th centuries, but they couldn’t uncover the place.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT MACHU PICCHU
Machu Picchu is one of the seven new wonders and a world heritage site. It was back in 2007 when people voted Machu Picchu as one of the world’s new seven wonders. The place is also known as the “lost city.” One of the most interesting facts associated with Machu Picchu is that it was used as an astronomical observatory. Also, according to a certain artist, the famous painting of Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vici was painted during the height of the Inca empire. Moreover, Machu Picchu sits at 2,430 meters above sea level, which in itself is a major fact.
Also Read, The Legacy of the Great Egypt Pyramids
MUST VISITS SITES OF MACHU PICCHU
There are so many top attractions in Machu Picchu that offers a glimpse of its history, culture, and traditions. Some of the must-visits of Machu Picchu are-
- THE INCA BRIDGE- As the name suggests, it is a bridge, but it is not. It is more a stone path that is carved out of the cliff rock than a bridge. It was built by the Incan army as a secret entrance.
- TEMPLE OF THE SUN- Temple of the Sun is one of the best places to visit in Machu Picchu. The temple exhibits the finest stonework. It is believed that this temple was probably used as an astronomical observatory. The temple is located next to the main fountain, which in itself is a great aesthetic pleasure.
- HOUSE OF ORNAMENTS (SACRISTY)- It is also considered one of the finest buildings in Machu Picchu. The most impressive features of the building are its large rocks on the entrance. Each stone has at least 30 angles carved in it. The sacristy was a room that was used to store the ornaments.
- CENTRAL PLAZA- This is a perfect area to witness the lush greenery. There is a large grassy area in the between that separates the functional buildings from the residential buildings.
- TERRACES- A trip to Machu Picchu will be incomplete without visiting the Terraces. These terraces offer a serene and beautiful view where one can rest and walk in the lap of beautiful nature.
- ROYAL TOMB: PALACE OF THE PRINCESS- This fascinating place is located just next to the Temple of Sun. According to Hiram Bingham, the founder of Machu Picchu, the palace’s outer wall is the finest in all of the Americas. Due to its cave-like structure, the place has been named the tomb. It has tall niches for the offerings.
- WATCHMAN’S HUT- The place should not be missed! It offers an enchanting view of the whole city.
- THE SUN GATE ( INTI PUNKU )- The sun gate is considered one of the most important features of the Machu Picchu. This is the most favorite tourist site as it offers the best spectacular view of the sunset that is sufficient to make a person fall in love with the beauty of Machu Picchu. The place is simply magnificent!
MUST- EAT DELICACIES OF MACHU PICCHU
A trip feels incomplete without tasting the special cuisines of the place, and so is the case of Machu Picchu. The delicious cuisines will make you fall for them. So, some of the cuisines that one shouldn’t miss in Machu Picchu includes-
- CHICHARRONES- Chicharrones is a mouth-watering dish that deserves a try when you are on your trip to Machu Picchu. It is a slice of deep-fried pork that is served with potatoes, corn, and salad.
- CHOCLO- Choclo is one of the local dishes of the place. It has been the staple diet for thousands of years. It includes a variety of field corn.
- CHVICHE – The well-known delicacy of Peru, Chviche includes fresh raw fish cured in citrus juice.
- ALFAJORES- This is the perfect dis to treat your sweet tooth. These are the cookie sandwich with a thick layer of caramel inside. This dish will knock you out!
This was all about Machu Picchu. If you want to explore this beautiful place more, visit it on your next vacation and have a great time there!