It can be really difficult for an individual to fight anxiety or depression. There can be many reasons for an individual suffering from depression or stress. From a lack of communication to work overload, there are many problems that can cause depression or stress. While there are several medications that can help in fighting mental health issues, there’s no short sure method to treat stress or depression. Medicines can help you overcome mental health problems in the short run but there are several side effects of such medicines. Moreover, there is no guarantee of a permanent solution against such mental health issues.
This means you are the best person to help yourself in such conditions. There are several ways of keeping your mind fresh and free of tension. Just like our muscles, our brain too needs proper exercise for overcoming issues like tension, stress, or anxiety. Yoga is one of the best and proven ways of fighting mental health issues. There is enough research-backed data to prove that yoga poses are really helpful in fighting mental health issues. For a healthy mind, a healthy body is mandatory. There are several yoga poses that can help you fight issues like stress and depression. We’ve compiled a list of 5 such yoga poses that can be really helpful in keeping your mind healthy.
1. Cow Pose: Cow Pose or Bitilasana is an easy yoga pose that can help you fight stress and depression. This pose relaxes your muscles and improves oxygen flow in your body. To perform the cow pose, you need to get down on your knees and palms and inhale to curve your belly downwards. Now arch your back a little and tilt your head upwards to stretch your chin and chest. Apart from improving mental health, cow pose also helps in warming up your spine.
2. Standing Forward Bend or Uttanasana: Uttanasana has a variety of physical health benefits. To perform this exercise, you need to stand straight and bend forward while exhaling slowly and try to touch the floor with your fingers. While touching the floor, press the head against your legs. After holding for a few seconds, come back to the standing position slowly. This yoga pose is very helpful in releasing tension from your muscles. You can easily fight mild depression and fatigue by performing this yoga pose regularly.
3. Happy Baby Pose: Also known as Ananda Balasana, Happy Baby Pose is very helpful in improving sleep, reducing stress, and overcoming restlessness. To perform this pose, you need to lie on your back and bend your knees towards your belly. After moving your feet as close to your hips as you can, hold your feet with your hands and open your knees wide. Hold in this position for a few seconds and return to the original position. Perform this exercise 5-6 times daily. Try to increase your holding time to 60 seconds.
4. Extended Puppy Pose: Extended Puppy Pose is also known as Uttana Shishosana. If performed in its correct form, this yoga pose can be really helpful in coping with mental health issues as well as fatigue. This yoga pose is a combination of downward facing dog and child pose. To perform this pose, you need to get down on your all fours and move your buttocks towards your heels. Now bring your head down so that your forehead touches the floor. Stretch your hands over the head with your palms facing downwards. Stay in this position and relax. This pose will calm your mind and boost your mood to fight stress.
5. Eagle Pose: Known as the Garudasana in the Indian subcontinent, Eagle Pose is an exercise that you do while standing. To perform the Eagle pose, you need to bend your knees slightly. The next step involves lifting the left leg and crossing the left thigh over the right one. Place the top of the left foot behind the lower right calf. Now cross your hands in such a way that your palms face each other. Hold this position for 30 to 60 seconds and perform 3-4 sets of this exercise. It will help you in improving concentration, strengthening the muscles, and reducing stress significantly.