Wayanad is a district in the north-eastern section of Kerala, God’s own nation. The location lies on the southernmost tip of the Deccan Plateau, which is adorned by the Western Ghats with steep peaks and clear lakes. Dense forests, lush green jungles, Wayanad tourist attractions, and deep valleys are must-sees for any traveler.
The setting appears to be similar to those seemingly appealing landscapes you’ve seen in your dreams. It is one of those Kerala cities where sightseeing is insufficient. When in Wayanad, learn how to give a peaceful Ayurvedic massage and pull up your pants to undertake the most beautiful excursions.
Scroll down to learn about the best places to visit in Wayanad…
1. Kuruva Island
A journey to Kerala would be completed without visiting Kuruva Island, one of the top Wayanad locations. Kuruva Island is a magnificent and enchanting hideaway from the rush and bustle of the world, with lush green trees and quiet waters. Kuruva Island is also well-known for riding on bamboo rafts through an appealing environment on either side of the pristine waterways. This island in Kerala is ideal for a picnic away from the city’s pollution. It is also the most popular tourist destination in Wayanad. The combination of lush flora and a motionless body of water makes it one of the must-see Wayanad tourist attractions.
- Place: Kuruvadweep, Kerala (673579).
- The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, which is 120 kilometers away from the island.
- Entry fee: INR 80 per person for Indians and INR 150 for foreigners.
- Pazhassi Restaurant & Catering, Aswathi Bhavan are the best places to eat.
2. Chembra Peak
The Chembra peak is the highest point in Wayanad, standing at 2100 meters above sea level. It is the ideal tourist destination for nature enthusiasts to admire its beauty and offers perplexing hikes for daring souls. The natural heart-shaped lake atop the hill is visible from practically every region of Wayanad, and it is the main attraction. From here, one can see the districts of Kozhikode, Nilgiris, and Malappuram. Chembra Peak is one of the top tourist destinations in Wayanad because of its unique lake.
- Chembra, Kerala, is the location.
- How to Get There: The nearest railway station is at Kozhikode, 79 kilometers from the top.
- Trekking Fees: INR 500 for a group of ten and INR 1000 for international tourists.
- Blue Ginger Wayanad Resorts, Rain Country Resorts, and Coffea Aroma Resort are among the places to stay.
3. Edakkal Caves
Visit the famed Edakkal Caves for the best Wayanad sightseeing. Edakkal rock engravings are priceless pieces of global heritage. The location blends outstanding natural vistas with the eternal appeal of surrounding prehistoric caves. It is regarded as the top Wayanad destination because of the carving art it provides. The most stunning carvings are of human forms represented in various styles.
- Nenmeni, Kerala 673595 is the address.
- The nearest railway station and airport are at Calicut, which is only a few hours away from the caverns.
- Adults must pay INR 15 to enter.
- Hours of operation: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
4. Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary
Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary is a part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve and is rich in biodiversity. Because the Sanctuary contains a higher population of pachyderms, it has been designated as a Project Elephant Site. Elephants and deer graze freely, and tigers are occasionally spotted. There are also numerous species of primates, birds, butterflies, and insects. A long drive along Muthanga’s wayside allows you to see all of these species.
- How to Get There: The nearest airport is 79 kilometers away in Calicut.
- Muthanga, Kerala 673592 is located on National Highway 212. Entry fee: INR 10 for adults and INR 5 for children.
- Hours of operation: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
5. Pazhassi Raja Tomb
Another location to see in Wayanad is the Pazhassi Raja Tomb, which was built in commemoration of the heroic Pazhassi Raja, who fought against the Britishers. The mausoleum is surrounded by lush flora and little roads that you can go along at your leisure. People who are interested in Kerala’s history should visit this tomb at least once in their lives.
- Pazhassi Raja Tomb is located at Mananthavady, Kerala (670645).
- How to get there: Take a cab after arriving in Wayanad, and you’ll be there in an hour.
- Adults pay INR 20, and children pay INR 10.
This vista may be found on the Thamarassery ghat pass, which runs through the Himalayas. The best thing about this Wayanad tourist attraction is that you don’t have to set aside time for it; you may explore it as part of your excursion. Several travelers stop at Lakkidi to get a good view of Wayanad from the summit, which provides a new perspective and view of the valleys. A few monkeys may be sitting and climbing the trees nearby.
- Lakkidi, Kerala 673576, Kozhikode-Mysore-Kollegal Highway
- How to get there: Vythiri is the closest town to Lakkidi Viewpoint, 5 kilometers away, and can be reached by taxi.
7. Soochipara Falls
One of the best sites to visit in Wayanad is the Sentinel Rock waterfalls. Sentinel Rock Waterfalls, located in Wayanad’s Vellarimala district, has postcard-perfect white water. The waterfall is roughly 200 meters high and reveals the cliff wall. Soochipara, as the name suggests, is a perfect location for rock climbing. The beautiful water flows into the Chaliyar River, where you can cool down for hours by dipping your feet.
- Vellarimala, Kerala, India 673577
- How to Get There: The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, 65 kilometers from Wayanad.
- The entry fee is INR 80 per person.
- Blue Ginger Spa Resorts and Vythiri Village Resort are two places to stay.
- Test Of Indian Restaurant, Family Restaurant, and Hr Bakery are the best places to eat.
8. Meenmutty Waterfalls:
Meenmutty gets its name from the words “Meen” (fish) and “Muty” (blocked), which means “blocking the fishes.” This is one of the best waterfalls in Kerala and one of the most beautiful Wayanad tourist attractions. It is located at the height of 300 meters on the Ooty route. If you are in Kalpetta, this Wayanad destination is only 29 kilometers away. If you’re seeking the best waterfalls in Kerala, this should be at the top of your list.
- The address is Kallar Meenmutty Falls Road, Kallar, Kerala 695551.
- How to Get There: The falls are 45 kilometers from Trivandrum and may be reached via cab.
- Meenmutty Heights is a possible place to stay.
- Kanakakkunnu Palace, Sri Saravana Bhavan, and Blooming Bay are the best places to eat.
9. Neelima point
One of Wayanad’s most beautiful viewpoints offers a breathtaking view of the lush green valleys, and Meenmutty falls. Neelima point is adjacent to Vuduvanchal, which is easily accessible via Kalpetta and Sultan Bathrey. When combined with a visit to the falls and temple, your plan can work wonders for nature enthusiasts. If you do not visit any of these Wayanad tourist attractions, your visit would be incomplete.
- SH29, Kerala, India 673581
- Options for lodging include Chateau Woods, Sunrise Valley Resort, and Lake valley Resort.
- Green Gates Hotels, Hill Top Restaurant, and Jubilee Restaurant are the best places to eat.
Also Read, 8 Most Breathtaking Villages In Kerala
10. Banasura Sagar Dam
This dam is one of the most photographed tourist attractions in Wayanad. Banasura Dam, the second-largest in Asia, is a notable location to visit in Wayanad. It is situated in the Western Ghats, approximately 21 kilometers from Kalpetta. The gorgeous view of mountain folds that lays in the backdrop of the dam, located at the foothills of Banasura, is one of nature’s tranquil beauties.
- Banasura Sagar Dam Wayanad is located in Kerala, India.
- How to Go There: The best way to get to this dam is to drive from Wayanad to Banasura Sagar Dam.
- Adults pay INR 10, and minors pay INR 5.
- Wayanad Silverwoods, Banasura Hill Resorts, and Sharoy Resort are some of the best places to stay in Wayanad. The Wayanad Gate, Hotel Woodlands, and 1980’s A Nostalgic Restaurant are some of the best places to eat in Wayanad.