Delhi has historically served as a major hub for a large number of dynasties. Because of this, the location’s heritage is as diverse as its history. Naturally, the well-known sights have endured the test of time, enabling further exploration. Unfortunately, numerous other impressive buildings have fallen victim to deterioration and conflict.
However, there are still many forts, or perhaps I should say ruins and remains of those forts, that you can visit to delve into Delhi’s fascinating past.
Lal Kot- First Red Fort of Delhi
Mehrauli, a protracted trail that leads to Qila Lal Kot in Sanjay Van, is desolate and dotted with keeker trees and shrubs that grow sideways. The Lal Kot in the 11th century, which has a six-foot-high fortification wall and is referred to as the “first Red Fort,” was constructed in 1060 AD by Rajput ruler Anangpal Tomar, whose ancestors had settled in the Aravalli Hills. To escape the busy city life, nature lovers now hike along the six-kilometer South Delhi Ridge trail. Although there are several entrances to the fort, most trekkers prefer Sanjay Van’s gate number 5, which is close to the Qutab Minar complex.
Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq, the creator of the Tuhghlaq Dynasty, had a vision for the Tughlaqabad Fort. Soon after Tughlaq had taken control of the area in 1321, construction on the fort began. However, his plan to transform it into one of the best forts was derailed because he passed away soon after (1324). Although Tughlaqabad Fort is now in ruins, many of its components have withstood the test of time. The fort’s enormous bastions demonstrate that it was built with defense in mind.
Salimgarh Fort’s history reads like a wild ride. It was ruled by a variety of kings and played a significant role in history. Salim Shah Suri, the son of Sher Shah Suri, constructed Salimgarh Fort, which Humayun later took control of. It became a prison during the reign of Aurangzeb. Finally, the British used it as a good location during the colonial era.
The Fort is triangular in shape, with thick rubble-masonry walls. Its bastions are circular. The fort structure has undergone numerous stages of repairs since it was first constructed over the centuries. The gate is known as Bahadur Shah Gate because an arch bridge connecting it to Red Fort on the northeastern side was built during Bahadur Shah Zafar’s rule. Red sandstone is used sparingly in the brick masonry construction of the gate.
Qila Rai Pithora
Qila Rai Pithora is a 12th-century architecture built by Prithviraj Chauhan (Chauhan Rajput Dynasty) (Chauhan Rajput Dynasty). The remains of the fort are scattered across the southern part of Delhi. These days, it can be found in Vasant Kunj, Mehrauli, Saket, and Qutub Complex. It is one of Delhi’s oldest and least well-known forts.
A fortified city called Jahanpanah was constructed to fend off the Mongol invasion. The building was built by Muhammad Bin Tughlaq. Today, all that remains of the fort are its scattered ruins. The actual city or fort does not exist. However, some of the fort’s structures are still in ruins.
Even today, it is possible to see remnants of the city’s walls along the road leading from Siri to Qutub Minar, as well as in the distant areas behind the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), in Begumpur, Khirki Masjid near Khirki Village, Satpula, and many other nearby locations.
Fort Siri Ala-ud-Din Khilji constructed the ancient fort known as Siri Fort. The fort’s ruins serve as a reminder of its period-appropriate architectural skill. Unfortunately, Siri Fort has been largely destroyed over the years; only a small portion of the fort is still in ruins.
The Khalji dynasty is best known for Alauddin, who expanded his realm into Southern India and founded Siri, the second city of Delhi. Many of Siri’s strongholds can still be found inside Delhi University’s Gargi college.
Feroz Shah Kotla
Feroz Shah Tughlaq constructed the Feroz Shah Kotla, also known as Kotla, as a fortress to house Firozabad, his version of Delhi.
One of many pillars of Ashoka left by the Mauryan emperor, a pristine polished sandstone Topra Ashokan pillar from the third century BC rises from the crumbling remains of the palace. Although the fortress is now well-known for its Djinns and haunted tales, the Delhi Sultan once lived there.
A protective massive rampart was built around the city of Jahanpanah on the boundary of Adilabad, a small fort constructed on the hills south of Tughlaqabad. The fort had a similar design to its predecessor, the Tughlaqabad fort, despite being much smaller. In its assessment of the fort’s condition for conservation, the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has noted that two gates,
The name “Muhammadabad” was also used for the fort, but this was thought to be a more recent addition. In contrast to the east and west gates, which had grain bins and courtyards on the upper floors, the two gates on the southeast and southwest sides of the Adilabad fort had chambers on the lower level. This fort can be visited along with Tughlakabad.