“CLIMB THE MOUNTAIN NOT TO PLANT YOUR FLAG, BUT TO EMBRACE THE CHALLENGE, ENJOY THE AIR AND BEHOLD THE VIEW. CLIMB IT SO YOU VAN SEE THE WORLD, NOT SO THE WORLD CAN SEE YOU.” – David McCullough Jr.
Mountaineering or mountain climbing is a kind of thrilling and exciting sports activity. Climbing a mountain can either be a job or a hobby. It depends upon the person. The world we live in, comprised of thousands of mountains, each having its uniqueness and pleasures. Climbing a mountain is not an easy task. Climbing a mountain requires a lot of potentials, willpower, and self-assurance.
Moreover, climbing a mountain has its risks too. But if you are a person who gets fascinated by the mountains and wants to start climbing a mountain, you should know everything about it. So, here are the things that everybody needs to know about climbing a mountain.
ORIGINATION OF CLIMBING A MOUNTAIN
Climbing a mountain or mountaineering has been a common activity of pleasure or a profession for a very long time. The climbing of a mountain was started somewhere in 1336 as a hobby for the people. According to Sir Alfred Wills’ ascent of the Swiss Wetterhorn considered the birth of climbing a mountain or mountaineering as a sport in 1865. Climbing a mountain is a sport that is very unlike the others. It is the same every time from base jumping to cliff diving. The things remain the same every time you climb a mountain. However, the experience and pleasure on every mountain you climb will be way more different.
TYPES OF MOUNTAIN CLIMBING
Generally, there are two ways to climb a mountain, and that is Alpine and Expedition. Both are different and are practiced according to the size of the mountains. Climbing a medium-sized mountain often involves the Alpine way of climbing a mountain, whereas climbing a larger or huge sized mountain often involves the Expedition way of climbing a mountain. Let’s know them closely.
ALPINE WAY OF CLIMBING A MOUNTAIN OR ALPINE MOUNTAINEERING- In the alpine way of climbing a mountain, mountaineers prefer moving quickly and make a swift push to the peak. In this kind of climbing, the mountaineer is instructed to pack light. It usually involves climbing the route in a continuous push.
EXPEDITION WAY OF CLIMBING OR EXPEDITION MOUNTAINEERING- Expedition’s way of climbing a mountain involves setting up a fixed line of stocked camps on the mountains, in this way of climbing mountaineer moves slowly and carry much heavier loads. It involves porters, and in this way of climbing, usually shutting back and forth to fix the ropes is involved, which is not in the case of the alpine way of climbing.
TERMS RELATED TO CLIMBING A MOUNTAIN
- MOUNTAINEERING KNOTS- The knots are used in climbing a mountain and play a very crucial role. Knots are used while climbing, and these knots are made with the help of the ropes. It is a kind of equipment that is used to climb a mountain safely. Some of the knots made while climbing a mountain are Zeppelin Bend, Alpine butterfly, Bowline, etc.
- ANCHOR- Anchor is used to securing the rope against the snow, ice, or rock while climbing a mountain.
- HEADWALL- Headwall while climbing a mountain refers to the steep terrain.
- CARABINER- Carabiner is a kind of tool used while climbing a mountain used to fasten the roads.
- CAIRN- It is also an important tool used while climbing a mountain. It can be a pile of rocks or a piece of wood that can mark the particular route.
Also Read, The Crown of India – Himalyan Mountain Range
Climbing a mountain does not have any official rules. But yes! There is a mantra that one should keep in mind while climbing a mountain, and, i.e., “It’s always farther than it looks, it’s always taller than it looks, it’s always harder than it looks.” This mantra helps the person gain patience, determination, and a chance to prepare for it well or leave it there only.
LIST OF EQUIPMENT THAT IS REQUIRED WHILE CLIMBING A MOUNTAIN
It is very important to know about the equipment that is needed while climbing a mountain. As if any equipment is unavailable, it can cause a danger to the life. So, the list of equipment is an important part of the climbing. The list includes-
- TENT- A tent is needed while climbing a mountain as it provides shelter in the worst situations while climbing a mountain.
- ICE AXE- Ice axe is a need while climbing a mountain as it helps in the easy movement over the terrains covered from snow or ice.
- CLIMBING BACKPACKS- Climbing backpacks are a kind of savior while climbing a mountain as it serves the issue of storage.
- FIXED ROPE- Fixed ropes help in assisting the climber by anchoring the point of protection.
- CLIMBING ROPE- It helps the climbers in ascending and descending the mountain while climbing. Climbing rope reduces the chances of falling off the climber.
- CRAMPONS- Crampons help the climber to walk easily on the slippery surfaces of the mountain while climbing.
- HARNESS- Harness is used for security purposes while ascending and descending the mountain.
- HEADLAMPS- Headlamps are of great use while climbing the mountain. It helps invisibility during the low light and overcast conditions.
- MOUNTAINEERING JACKETS- It helps in protecting the climber from the freezing weather while climbing a mountain.
- ALTIMETER WATCH- It is also important equipment that can help the climber measure the altitude gained by him/her over sea level.
EXERCISES TO PREPARE YOU FOR CLIMBING A MOUNTAIN
Some exercises can help a climber to get prepared physically for the climbing of a mountain. These exercises include-
- CALF RISERS- This exercise will help in increasing the endurance of the climber. While climbing, calves are the parts that get easily fatigued. So, to avoid that, this exercise can be done from time to time.
- CLIMBING STAIRS- Climbing and running or carrying things up and down from the staircases helps strengthen the muscles of the legs. Having strong legs is the most important part of climbing a mountain.
- LEG BLASTERS- Leg blaster prepares you well to climb a mountain, reach its peak, and return from the top to the base. The set of leg blasters include 20 sets of air squats, 20 walking lunge steps, 10 jump squats, and 10 jumping lunges. This will make your legs stronger so that you can have a blast while climbing a mountain.
So, these were some of the basic things to know while climbing a mountain.